Friday, October 21, 2011

I hate cars

Man, do I ever hate cars.

This probably has a good bit to do with where I live, in that every time I get into a car I am dealing with bloody awful traffic on the highway.  This is usually because I am trying to go the same place that everybody else is going, out of the city to the cottage on Friday evenings and back on Sunday.  Even when I am only in the city it makes me insane to sit in traffic and deal with clogged roads.  I don't think I would be willing to put up with driving on a regular basis - unless maybe I was commuting to work at 2 AM or moved up north where 'rush hour' means you have to drive at the speed limit instead of 10 over between 5:00 and 5:30.  Some of my intense hatred is certainly fueled by the environmental concerns but really the majority is just the experience.  The bus isn't perfect but I will take it over having to own a car every damn time.

This is a neat article I found on the actual costs of commuting.  It is US information but I suspect it would be pretty much spot on accurate for much of Canada.  When he puts the costs of commuting in terms of how much more house you can afford the numbers get really quite hilarious.  30 less miles driven each way is worth $477,000 more in house value.  Those downtown condos are looking better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment