Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dentistry throughout the ages

I recall stories from my parents about how going to the dentist was a really awful experience when they were young.  Their impressions of the dentist were not positive, to say the least.  I never particularly liked going to the dentist when I was young but it wasn't a big deal - I am lucky to never have had an fillings necessary but I find it boring rather than frightening.  Yesterday I had to go to the dentist and Elli's reaction was a bit strange.

"When are we going to the dentist Daddy?"

"I am going to the dentist Elli, you are going to school."

"But that isn't fair!  I want to go to the dentist too!"

Then she threw a fit because she wanted to go to the dentist.  She sees going to the dentist as a fun adventure with treasure at the end (the dentist has a treasure chest for kids).  Quite the change in just three generations from fear to indifference to joy.  I never thought I would get the opportunity to threaten

"Be good or you won't get to go to the dentist!" 

and have it actually work.

1 comment:

  1. If you really want to understand my point of view, get a filling with NO freezing. It makes me think of Marathon Man and Dustin Hoffman under torture.

    ReplyDelete