Sunday, October 18, 2015

Lazy and twitchy

My brother was visiting today.  He and my sister in law were running partial marathons in Toronto, which seemed really bizarre since their home town does have plenty of roads and fields and other such things that could be used as a venue for running.  I get that events that have a lot of people at them have appeal, and that it is easier to make yourself train when you are in a scheduled, unchangeable event... and yet travelling to a place so you can run around and be in pain just isn't my sort of vacation!

The really great thing about the visit was that I learned that there is medical news that is great for me.  We have all heard that sitting a lot is the new smoking and that it is a huge health issue.  I worried about that, and had recently begun doing twelve flights of stairs a couple times a day as a token gesture towards exercising.  I am a three pack a day sitter, for sure.  However, apparently people who fidget while sitting don't have the same health issues that most people do.  Being super twitchy and playing with pens grants immunity to sloth related health problems, in some weird way?

I could probably look that up and find out for sure, but why discount good news?  I am a grand fidgeter, taking the cap off and putting the cap back on my old USB keys a hundred times a day every day.  Pens get grabbed and chewed and flipped, and my knee is forever bouncing in place, vibrating everyone who sits on anything adjacent to me.

So it would seem I am immune to the health problems of sitting around a lot.  Now I just have to focus on plugging my ears while everyone tells me about all of the other benefits of getting up from my computer and actually doing something in the world.  Na na, not listening!

4 comments:

  1. While I really hope you're right as I also fidget constantly, I'm not sure your plan of denial will work for me when it comes to confirming the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try Belegarth. I think that you'd love it. More fun than stair climbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it amusing that you justify your fidgetting in the fall, but are working out daily by spring! Sometimes teuce a day, even. Lots of planking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it amusing that you justify your fidgetting in the fall, but are working out daily by spring! Sometimes teuce a day, even. Lots of planking. :)

    ReplyDelete