Wednesday, September 6, 2017

School again

Pinkie Pie is back to school this week.  It is a new school for her as she has moved up to grade 6, and that came along with all the attendant fears and worries.

Fears and worries for her, mind, not me.

She was concerned about finding classes and making friends and all the normal sorts of things that kids worry about.  I tried to help her by talking about how everyone at school would feel this way because all the kids were entering a new place with new rules and they all would need help.  I suggested that if she was thinking of a question she should ask it because probably at least one other classmate had the same question but just hadn't asked it yet.

I don't know if I helped, but that was the tactic I tried!

It is a strange sort of thing for me to get back into the school routine too.  I don't go to the school, of course, but I do suddenly have a dramatically different sort of day ahead of me.  I have been away from home for half of the summer and when I wasn't away from home I had all kinds of bizarre schedules depending on the day in question.

Now I am squarely back into my usual routine of being free from 9 until 3:30 and otherwise busy.  I can plan things!

The first couple days have been really strange.  It is like I am stuck in a loop almost, just passing time instead of getting things done.  I think it isn't just a new schedule to be back at school, it is almost like I need a completely new mindset.  Instead of just taking whatever time I can find to do my own stuff, I need to schedule my work in advance.  I mostly just spent the first two days goofing off, watching the new season of Narcos and playing way too much Civilization 6.  Somehow in my head the switch to go to school time instead of vacation time hasn't tripped yet.

The next couple days I have tons of work to do, so hopefully that will get me back into the groove of getting real things crossed off of the list instead of just treading water.  There are things I just can't procrastinate about forever because they rely on other people... or the fact that winter is coming.

On that note I also really need to finish off the latest season of Game of Thrones.  I can't decide if doing so is accomplishing important work or if it is just another way to avoid steam cleaning my carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment